Ingredients For the Buns
- 600ml x milk
- 3 x tablespoons x loose Rabbit Hole Chai
- 3 x tablespoons x finely ground Rabbit Hole Chai
- 100gm x butter
- 1kg x flour
- 2 teaspoons x salt
- 150g x sugar
- 14g x dried yeast
- 2 x eggs
- Dried orange peel
Ingredients for the Cross
- 150g x flour
- 3 drops of vanilla extract
Ingredients for the Glaze
- 1 x cup brewed Rabbit Hole Chai
- 100g x sugar
- Bring milk to the boil with Rabbit Hole Chai and simmer for 5 minutes. Add butter then leave to cool.
- Add flour, salt, yeast and ground Rabbit Hole Chai in a large bowl and mix well before adding warm milk mixture and eggs to form a dough.
- Lightly flour a bench and tip dough out kneading until smooth and elastic (5 minutes).
- Place the dough into and oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel leaving it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Add dried orange peel and knead the dough a second time before putting it back into the oiled bowl and covering for 1 more hour.
- Line trays with baking paper. Divide the dough mixture into 24 pieces and roll into balls. Leave enough space for the dough to expand on the trays. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside again for 1 hour to rise.
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Mix the flour with the water and vanilla extract. Use enough water to make a smooth paste and put into a piping bag and pipe crosses onto top of buns.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Make the glaze in preparation for glazing as soon as buns are cooked. Heat brewed chai and sugar until it simmers and thickens. When buns are cooked, glaze using a pastry brush.
- Serve fresh with lashings of butter and a cup of Choc Orange Fudge tea to wash it down!